TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My final reply: today
People Seeking Info

Subject My final reply: today

Posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 2:23 AM
  This message has been viewed 858 times.

In Reply To Please learn how to read a dynochart. The mix was 12.23 posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 01:50 AM

Message Hi Tony,

I apologize for the late reply here - I have been backlogged with work since the tropical storm/hurricane that came through here a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like we are in store for more. :-/

As for the dyno, the A/F is coming up to around ~12.2 or so at ~5600RPM but only at peak. When tuning these cars we shoot for a 12:1 A/F ratio on racefuel as a safe target. 12:1 mixture is NOT the absolute "squeezing" limit of these engines - it is a safe mixture that will ensure adequate margin for deviation for the small variations that can occur. The mixture can vary by about +/- 0.2 to 0.3 depending on environmental conditions. A fuel mixture of 12.2-12.3 as seen in your car at that one small band of RPM is completely acceptable - C16 is incredibly resistant to detonation and the combustion temperatures at your power level and that fuel mixture are well within acceptable limits.

At this point I know we aren't going to see eye to eye on any of this. All I have to assure myself on is the fact that I have custom tuned several hundred Z's, many producing significantly more power and torque than yours and driven in conditions more severe, and have not seen any evidence to support an issue with the plug selection we used in your car. If the PFR6B-11B plugs were an issue, I would have seen it a few hundred cars ago.

I can only speculate on the results you had with Harry's programming as I do not know what kind of operating parameters he is using. I Can only tell you that the car produced as much power as it was safely capable of during the dyno tuning session and that a custom dyno tune is unquestionably going to result in a more perfect operation of the powertrain than a "cookie cutter" EPROM chip will. Unfortuantely I am sure you scoff at that statement given your experience.

Tony, I am really sorry that you have had to endure this situation. I know it has been frustrating, stressful, and expensive. Although I do not know the exact details of the impact this has had on your livelihood, I assure you that I can relate with first-hand experience as I have been through it with my Z as well. These cars are VERY expensive toys and they inherently have a significant degree of risk associated with owning one. I have no desire whatsoever to compile the invoices and quantify the time I've spent on mine into a dollar figure - I am sure it wouldn't sit too well from a financial perspective. However, the reality is such that this is one of the sacrifices we make as Z enthusiasts - a sacrifice we make in one part of our lives for the opportunity to experience the enjoyment and satisfaction in our hobbies. Spending hard-earned money for a new set of rubber or for the next stage upgrade component is money well spent in both our opinions - it further reciprocates the enjoyment we find in our hobby. Unfortunately we have also both experienced the harsh reality of doing the things to these cars we do. Blowing an engine is a possibility all the way from stage stock up to the top end of performance modifications. It happens but the best thing you can do is take as many preventive measures as possible to ensure it doesn't happen. Unfortunately you did not heed my advice that I so heavily reinforced and took it upon yourself to run the risks at the track.

It is unfortunate also that it appears you are going to make some internet spectacle of this. I honestly do not fear my reputation as a tuner being questioned as a result of what happened to your car simply because the facts speak for themselves and they do not agree with the speculation you have about the cause. But as I said before, maybe it really is the best thing as you will find that anyone who is a reputable experienced technician on these cars will undoubdetly be forced to agree with the simple facts.

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.